Android is so popular because of so many free applications to be used. System tools, game, and other application, most of them can be used for free. However, do you know that not all Android’s free applications good for your device?
Purdue University cooperated with Microsoft has done careful research to find out free application effect to Android device.
They tested HTC Passion (Nexus One – Android 2.3) using some free applications such as Angry Birds, Free Chess, Android Browser, MapQuest and New York Times app.
The result is surprising! Android Battery is decreasing 70% faster when playing Angry Birds. It because background-user data upload process, such as user location information, etc. besides, the battery spendthrift also got worse by download process and advertising display in the free application. Similar result is also shown by other free applications such as Free Chess.
Besides, some free applications also have bugs. The example is bug in Facebook application which made Android CPU isn’t able to enter sleep mode, eventhough when Facebook application has been terminated. In addition of wasting the battery, it also made Android device’s CPU works hard.
Free application which is not well-coded or clean-code can also make Android device become slower and battery-waste.
From the research, there are some important points:
1. Download process and advertisement displaying in Android free application waste the battery more.
2. Some of Android free application tracking process (user location information, etc) waste the battery more.
3. Not well-coded or clean code application often made Android device become slower and battery-waste.
4. Bug in some Android free application can cause the CPU works harder, so the device can be damage soon.
Here are some solutions from PusatGratis which can be done to minimize such problems:
1. Make sure you use Android application as you need. There are so many free and attractive Android applications, but you’d better not use it if you don’t need it much.
2. Make sure you have read review in Google Play first before deciding to install an application. If there are many people complained the application, it would be better for you to search for its alternative application if it exists.
3. Try to install application from trustable vendor
4. Avoid to use free application which displays too many advertisement.
You can download the research report here.
Android Free Application Research Report
Unfortunately, the report is so technical and it’s not for general user. If you’re an Android application developer, you can download it as reference so that the application you made won’t waste the Android user’s battery
The conclusion is, not all Android applications good. We shall be selective to choose. I hope this information useful for you.