When users visiting a new website, sometimes they ask themselves: Is this website safe? Can I trust this website? and other similar questions. Today, I’m going to show you 5 website security checker that could answer those questions above.
Firstly, I will explain several aspects that could make a website is not safe to visit. If a website contains one of these things, then it is might not be safe for visitors.
1. Drive-by downloads: It is a computer code that takes advantages of web browser vulnerability to make it do something that the attacker wants. It sometimes runs a malicious code, crash the browser, and even read data from user’s computer.
2. Phishing attack: It is a fake site that display web pages and claim to be from a trusted company. It usually asks the users with their sensitive information, such as username, password, credit card, etc. The latest hot phishing site is ltwitteri, a twitter phishing site.
3. Spyware, malware, viruses, adware, trojans and worms.
4. Unsolicited browser changes: This is a website that tried to changes the settings of the web browsers without user permission, such as change the homepage, search page, etc.
5. Suspicious browser changes: This is a website that tried to changes the list of trusted websites by forcing the web browser to download and install suspicious application without user permission.
6. Dialers: The website will change the modem settings in order to dial a high-cost toll number, or request payment for access to particular content. Users will get phone line charges for services they never used.
7. Information stealers: The website tried to steal important and sensitive data from their visitors.
9. Embedded link to malicious site.
When you visit a website that you’ve never known before, especially if it’s an online store and other similar websites, it’s better when you check the website’s security using these free tools below:
1. Norton Safe Web.
Norton is a well-known security product by Symantec. Simply go to Norton Safe Web homepage and type the web address you want to check. It will give you the website security report. If the report said “ OK”, then the website is safe and secure.
2. Google Safe Browsing Diagnostic.
Google Safe Browsing Diagnostic is owned and developed by Google. This service is not only checks the website security, but also provides the security history for past 90 days.
To check website security using Google Safe Browsing, simply change the www.websitename.com with the website address you want to check.
Google Safe Browsing will provide the detail information about the website security over the past 90 days.
3. McAfee SiteAdvisor.
Similar with Norton, McAfee also a well-known security product. McAfee SiteAdvisor gives the detail report of any sites you want. This service doing several web safety testing, including E-mail test, download test, online affiliation test and other annoyances. Go to McAfee SiteAdvisor homepage and type the website URL you want to check.
4. Sucuri SiteCheck.
Different with 5 services above, MyWOT calculates the website’s reputation based on user ratings and reliable third-party trusted source. MyWOT provides you with website trustworthiness, vendor reliability, privacy, and child safety. Visit MyWOT homepage and type the website URL.
Unmask Parasites is also a popular website security checker. However, I found this tool is not too accurate since it detects Google Analytics, Histats and other reliable scripts as a suspicious script (even those scripts act like a trackware, but they are trusted and reliable scripts for webmasters. Of course, they will not harm visitor’s PC!).
The Bottom Line
If you visit a website for the first time, especially if it is an online store and other similar website, I suggest you to check the website using 5 tools above. Sucuri Site Check and MyWOT are my recommended tools to check website security and reputation.
Enjoyed this article? Subscribe to get more updates!